Council of Yukon First Nations (CYFN) Umbrella Final Agreement
Yukon First Nations
The Umbrella Final Agreement was reached in March of 1990. In exchange for ceding, releasing and surrendering to Canada all of their Aboriginal claims, rights, title and interests, the Agreement provides the First Nation of the Yukon with
- title to 41,440km2 (16,000 sq. mi.) of land,
- joint management (with Canada) for land use, wildlife, environmental assessment, and water regulation
- wildlife harvesting rights,
- financial compensation of $248 million in 1989 dollars,
- a share of government royalties for oil, gas and mineral development on Crown Land, and
- individual First Nations Self-Government Agreements and the right to pass legislation regarding property taxation on their lands and taxation of their Citizens.
From 1995 to 2011 UGL has completed 63 CYFN land claim surveys.